Sponsored by Exforplus
09 Apr 20. SSAFA Emergency Response Fund launched. I hope that you’re well and that you are getting to grips with life around Covid-19. We thought you might appreciate an update on how SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity is coping during these unsettling times. Staff and volunteers are working remotely, and we have been working very hard to ensure that we can still support the Armed Forces community at a time when our volunteer caseworkers are self-isolating. As is the case for many other charities, our income has been significantly affected by cancellation of fundraising events and by issues encountered by our partners during the crisis.
Our mentoring, housing and adoption services are busy, as is our support service for Gurkha families and our younger volunteers are delivering provisions to beneficiaries where they can. Our Forcesline helpline is particularly busy. We do however face a significant challenge in providing rapid support to all of those who contact us in need of urgent assistance, and so we are today launching an emergency fund.
SSAFA EMERGENCY RESPONSE FUND
Our mission is to do whatever we can, for as long as we can, to ensure that all veterans, serving personnel, and their families’ access and receive the assistance they urgently need – at this time more than any other.
Since Covid-19 outbreak and lock-down, calls and requests into our front-line staff for help have increased dramatically, especially from those who are older, who have health problems, who are on low incomes or self-employed and who are at the greatest risk of harm.
Our response to this crisis is the SSAFA Emergency Response Fund. This fund will prioritise support for our critical front-line services, by ensuring they are able to continue to provide immediate assistance to those impacted by Covid-19.
Examples of what donations will provide:
- financial assistance for basic living, heating and warm clothes, as well as paying for bills, rent and food, by distributing vouchers or delivering food parcels
- advocacy and support with accessing benefits and entitlements, particularly for housing and accommodation issues
- welfare and emotional help for those who have lost their jobs, are grieving or in crisis
- befriending and other informal support networks
- safeguarding and supporting our own teams of frontline volunteers and staff, who are continuing to provide our services over the phone, skype or email – as needed.
This support for the Armed Forces family can only be provided through our dedicated and expert teams of staff and volunteers who run our helplines, frontline welfare services and support SSAFA’s UK-wide network of caseworkers, which is why this appeal is so important.
Many of those who now need our help have fought battles on our behalf to protect our freedoms and liberties, but they need your help now. Please support them to survive this battle with COVID-19 and give what you can.
We are however very aware that this might not be possible in these hard times and wanted to also let you know about some initiatives that individuals can take part in at home; we would be most grateful if these could be circulated.
- VE Day Art project to celebrate the 75th anniversary of VE Day on May 8th; draw or paint something VE Day themed and enter now at https://givepenny.com/appeal-for/ve-day-75-art Prizes are awarded in different age groups and it’s a great way to keep kids busy!
- Virtual runs are a great way to use your daily exercise to raise funds – see more at https://runforcharity.com/ssafa-the-armed-forces-charity/virtual-running-events
- Shop with our Partners – https://www.ssafastore.org.uk/partners – SSAFA’s dedicated partners sell exclusive products and services, all support SSAFA with every purchase you make.
- Sign up to Amazon Smile – https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ and select SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity as your chosen charity. A great way to raise funds for SSAFA while you shop with Amazon.
- Use Savoo: Search & Raise – https://www.ssafa.org.uk/support-us/shop-and-support-ssafa/savoo-search-and-raise a way to generate funds, for SSAFA, whilst you browse and search the internet.
- Give as You Live – shop at over 4,200 stores and raise funds for SSAFA, find out more -https://www.giveasyoulive.com/join/ssafasupport
We are also working on further events, including a virtual version of our famous Big Brew Up in June; more to come!
ExFor+ CIC is a relatively new organisation but has been established with the objective of becoming a National overarching organisation within the Veterans Support Sector. Our aim is to bring about, positive Social and Economic change for the country as well as a significant
transformation of how Service leavers, Veterans, their families and communities are supported. We will do this through effective collaboration, communication and management of a number of services and departments, ranging from engaging with Government, The Third sector and also the supporters of, those who’ve served and often sacrificed so much for their country. We are currently supporting a number of service leavers and veterans with a range of issues ranging from housing, unemployment, benefits, personal development, education, and are constantly looking for employers who see the positives in recruiting and supporting individuals in to work to create longterm and sustainable futures.