12 Nov 15. Defence Committee – Tuesday 17 November 2015.
Thatcher Room, Portcullis House
• Professor Julian Lindley-French, Senior Fellow, Institute of Statecraft
• Jonathan Parish, Deputy Assistant Secretary General for Defence Policy and Planning, NATO
• General Sir Richard Shirreff KCB CBE, former Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe
This is the second session for this inquiry. Discussion will concentrate on the origin of the NATO 2% target on defence spending and its relevance to UK defence spending. The Committee will also explore the nature of expenditure included in this 2% figure and the relationship between the defence budget and capabilities.
12 Nov 15. Select Committee on the Armed Forces Bill. On Wednesday 18 November, the Select Committee on the Armed Forces Bill will hear evidence from officials from the Ministry of Defence, senior military officials representing the armed services, the Director of Service Prosecutions, the Chief Fire Officer of the Defence Fire Risk Management Organisation and Liberty. In addition, the Committee will take further evidence in an afternoon session from Mark Lancaster MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence Personnel and Veterans, and General Sir Nick Carter, Chief of the General Staff.
Wednesday 18 November 2015 – Committee Room 21, Palace of Westminster (TBC).
At 9.30 am:
• Humphrey Morrison, Head of Legislation, Ministry of Defence
• Paula Hothersall, Head People Secretariat, Policy for Service Justice, Service Complaints, Inclusion and Diversity, Ministry of Defence
• Commodore Andrei Spence, Commodore Naval Staff Legal
• Brigadier John Donnelly CBE, Director Personnel Services, Army
• Group Captain Mark Heffron, RAF
And at 10:30 am approximately:
• Andrew Cayley, Director of Service Prosecutions
And at 11:15 am approximately:
• Mr Phil Salt, Chief Fire Officer, Defence Fire Risk Management Organisation
And at 12 noon approximately:
• Sara Ogilvie, Policy Officer, Liberty
Wednesday 18 November 2015
Committee Room 21, Palace of Westminster (TBC)
At 2.00 pm:
• Mark Lancaster MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence Personnel and Veterans, Ministry of Defence
• General Sir Nick Carter, Chief of the General Staff
06 Nov 15. Defence Committee. First Oral Evidence Session: An Acceptable Risk? The Use Of Lariam For Military Personnel. Tuesday 10 November 2015
Committee Room 15, Main Committee Corridor, House of Commons
• Dr Frances Nichol, Head of Drug Safety Quality, Roche
• Mike Kindell, Lead, Established Products, Roche
This is the first evidence of the inquiry. The purpose of the session is to question Roche, the main producer of Lariam in the UK, on general information relating to Lariam as an anti-malarial drug; the conditions of the use of Lariam and its side effects; the use of Lariam by the military and research on the risks to the military of using Lariam
House of Commons and House of Lords Hansard Written Answers
Asked by Dan Jarvis
Asked on: 05 November 2015
Ministry of Defence
Strategic Defence and Security Review
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what account his Department plans to take of the closure of steel plants in 2015 in the strategic defence and security review process.
Answered by: Mr Philip Dunne
Answered on: 12 November 2015
The Strategic Defence and Security Review will be a comprehensive review of our defence and security capabilities.
Separately, the Cabinet Office are leading a cross-Government Steel Procurement Working Group on which the Ministry of Defence is represented. The Government has published new guidelines for Departments to apply to major projects when sourcing and buying steel directly. Departments will be encouraged to take into account social impacts of competing suppliers when placing contracts directly.
Asked by Dougla