Web page sponsored by General Dynamics Land Systems Force Protection Europe (GDLS FPE)
12 May 15. General Election: Defence Ministers Appointed
Ministerial appointments were confirmed/published (12/13 May 15) as follows:-
• Secretary of State for Defence: The Right Honourable M C (Michael) Fallon MP continues in the appointment.
• Minister of State: Miss P (Penny) Mordaunt MP, on promotion from the Department for Communities.
• Minister of State: P M (Phillip) Dunne Esq MP, on promotion while retaining the Defence Procurement portfolio.
• Minister of State: The Right Honourable the Earl Howe (Frederick) on level, unpaid, transfer from the Department of Health.
• Parliamentary Under Secretary of State: J W H (Julian) Brazier Esq TD MP continues in his previous appointment.
• Parliamentary Under Secretary of State: J M (Mark) Lancaster Esq TD MP on level transfer from the Government Whips Office.
DEFENCE COUNCIL: As at 13 May 15
1. Secretary of State for Defence (Defence Secretary): The Right Honourable M C Fallon MP.
2. Minister of State for the Armed Forces (Armed Forces’ Minister): Miss P Mordaunt MP.
3. Minister of State and Minister for Defence Procurement (Defence Procurement Minister): P M Dunne Esq MP.
4. Minister of State and Deputy Leader of the House of Lords: The Right Honourable the Earl Howe.
5. Parliamentary Under Secretary of State and Minister for Reserves (Reserves’ Minister): J W H Brazier Esq TD MP.
6. Parliamentary Under Secretary of State and Minister for Defence Personnel, Welfare and Veterans(Personnel Minister): J M Lancaster Esq TD MP.
7. Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS): General Sir Nicholas Houghton GCB CBE ADC Gen.
8. Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS): Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach KCB CBE ADC.
9. First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS): Admiral Sir George Zambellas KCB DSC ADC.
10. Chief of the General Staff (CGS): General Sir Nicholas Carter KCB CBE DSO ADC Gen.
11. Chief of the Air Staff (CAS): Air Chief Marshal Sir Andrew Pulford KCB CBE ADC.
12. Commander Joint Forces Command (Comd JFC): General Sir Richard Barrons KCB CBE ADC Gen.
13. Permanent Under Secretary of State (PUS): J Thompson Esq.
14. Chief of Defence Matériel (CDM): B Gray Esq.
15. Chief Scientific Adviser (CSA): Professor V Gibson FRS.
16. Director General Finance (DGF): Miss L Tulett CBE.
(Source: MoD 12/13 May 15.)
Comment: As may be obvious from the above list, there are three grades of Minister. Secretary of State is the top grade, followed by Minister of State and Parliamentary Under Secretary of State. The last appointment should not be confused with the most senior Civil Service grade of Permanent Under Secretary.
The highest committee in the MoD is the Defence Board, which is chaired by the Secretary of State and includes the Armed Forces’ Minister, the Chief and Vice Chief of the Defence Staff and the Permanent Under Secretary. . The Defence Council “provides the formal legal basis for the conduct of Defence in the UK”.
One reference book includes “magician’s assistant” as part of the new Armed Forces? Minister’s non-political career. The description could (possibly) now be added to Miss Mordaunt’s political employment.
(Source: DNA DEFENCE NEWS ANALYSIS, Issue 15/20, 18 May 15)
07 May 15. Iraq: OP SHADER.
• 6 May 15: Reaper flew overwatch for Iraqi troops in Anbar Province.
• 7 May 15: Tornado GR4s supported Kurdish Forces North of Mosul.
• 13 May 15: Reaper attacked a large vehicle.
• 13 May 15: Reaper operated over Northern Iraq.
• 14 May 15: Tornado GR4s tasked to attack a building near Bayji.
Comment: Aircraft are also providing logistic support to the British Liaison Officers working with Iraqi and Coalition