Web page sponsored by General Dynamics Land Systems Force Protection Europe (GDLS FPE)
15 Jul 14. UK Ministerial Appointments: Some Changes. The Prime Minister announced (15 Jul 14 onwards) a series of Ministerial changes. The changes affecting the MoD are:
*The Right Honourable M Fallon MP appointed as Defence Secretary in succession to The Right Honourable P Hammond MP who has been appointed Foreign Secretary.
*Mrs A Soubry MP upgraded to Minister of State, while remaining in the MoD.
*J W H Brazier Esq MP joins the MoD as a Parliamentary Under Secretary, having replaced Dr A W Murrison MP who has been appointed to the Northern Ireland Office.
DEFENCE COUNCIL: AS AT 18 JUL 14
1. Secretary of State for Defence (Defence Secretary):
The Right Honourable M C Fallon MPO
2. Minister of State for the Armed Forces (Armed Forces. Minister):
The Right Honourable M G Francois MP.
3. Minister of State for Defence Personnel, Welfare and Veterans (Personnel Minister): Mrs A Soubry MP.
4. Parliamentary Under Secretary of State and Minister for Defence Equipment, Support & Technology (including Defence Exports) (Defence Equipment Minister): P M Dunne Esq MP.
5. Parliamentary Under Secretary of State and Minister for Reserves (Reserves. Minister): J W H Brazier Esq MP
6. Parliamentary Under Secretary of State and the Lords. Spokesman on Defence: The Lord Astor of Hever DL.
7. Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS): General Sir Nicholas Houghton GCB CBE ADC Gen.
8. Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS):
Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach KCB CBE ADC.
9. First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS):
Admiral Sir George Zambellas KCB DSC ADC.
10. Chief of the General Staff (CGS):
a. General Sir Peter Wall GCB CBE ADC Gen.
b. Lieutenant General Sir Nicholas Carter KCB CBE DSO from September 2014 on promotion to General.
11. Chief of the Air Staff (CAS): Air Chief Marshal Sir Andrew Pulford KCB CBE ADC.
12. Commander Joint Forces Command (Comd JFC): General Sir Richard Barrons KCB CBE ADC Gen.
13. Permanent Under Secretary of State (PUS): J Thompson Esq.
14. Chief of Defence Matériel (CDM): B Gray Esq.
15. Chief Scientific Adviser (CSA): Professor V Gibson FRS.
16. Director General Finance (DGF): D Williams Esq.
(Source: MoD 18 Jul 14.)
Comment: A list of Defence Council members is at page 3. In the political hierarchy the Secretaries of State are the most senior (and best rewarded), followed by the Ministers of State and the Parliamentary Under
Secretaries of State. (Source: DNA DEFENCE NEWS ANALYSIS, Issue 14/29, 21 Jul 14)
17 Jul 14. Afghanistan: OP HERRICK. From 1 Jan 06 to 30 Jun 14, 2,179 personnel were Wounded in Action and 7,238 were aeromedically evacuated. During June 2014 two personnel were Wounded in Action and 28 were aeromedically evacuated. (Def Stats, 17 Jul 14.)
“We look forward to the Status of Forces Agreement being completed as one of the first acts of the incoming Afghan President.” (Defence Secretary, 14 Jul 14.)
“This area of Helmand [Sangin, Now Zad & Musa Qala] is by far the most kinetic in Afghanistan.” (Defence
Secretary, 14 Jul 14.)
Comment: Responding to adverse newspaper articles, the MoD said (14 Jul 14) that: “We are confident that the
Afghan Forces will continue to take the fight to the Taliban and maintain the security of their Country….”
(Source: DNA DEFENCE NEWS ANALYSIS, Issue 14/29, 21 Jul 14)
17 Jul 14. Ukraine: Flight MH17 Shot Down. At least 298 people (283 passengers and 15 crew members) were presumed dead after Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur crashed in Eastern Ukraine on 17 Jul 14. The Boeing 777200ER left Amsterdam at 10.15 GMT (12.15 local) but contact was lost four hours later whe