22 Feb 07. The Government of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi has announced the establishment of the ABU DHABI UAV Investment Company (AD UAV). The company will have as its principal activities the design, development, manufacturing, and integration of unmanned aerial vehicle systems, in addition to after sales support in the UAE and globally.
AD UAV’s vision is to achieve the capabilities to design, manufacture and provide services for any type of UAV, fixed wing and vertical take off and landing (VTOL), and thus become a globally recognized brand.
The company aims to develop the technology and capability, as well as the design capacity, to meet both the military and commercial aerospace vehicle requirements of its customers; to increase its share in the market through continuous improvements; and to create value for the benefit of the country, customers, shareholders, suppliers and employees.
The UAE Armed Forces, through its UAV Research and Technology Center, has undertaken to build a national pool of research talent, engineers and scientists and give them the means to fulfil their potential. The launch of ABU DHABI UAV Investment is a natural result of these efforts. The UAE Armed Forces will be Abu Dhabi UAV’s major client.
ABU DHABI UAV Investment is the first of its kind in the GCC region and it will strengthen ties between the civilian and military sectors as well as the industrial and technical communities. It will act as the incubator for new unmanned systems programs, with particular emphasis on potential UAV markets, and will actively develop business opportunities that can exploit leading edge technologies and facilities.
The new company will aim at:
* Addressing changes in the market environment, and to develop plans will meet the aspirations and objectives of the UAE Armed Forces.
* Focusing on application of technologies to meet potentially large markets needs. In particular, it will develop new ideas and concepts that have the potential to provide good business opportunities beyond current programs.
* Fostering productive relationships with major international companies through partnerships for the development of technology strategies and jointly develops new concepts, programs and technologies that will set apart Abu Dhabi UAV from others in this domain. The company will also interface with external organizations on technology/research matters including universities.
* Developing complex technology programs, integrating the efforts of a multidisciplinary team covering all aspects of technology and design associated with autonomous air systems. This includes the ability to rapidly demonstrate new ideas, utilizing rapid prototyping facilities and processes.
* Developing the capability to design and test-fly demonstrator systems in order to demonstrate UAV capability and technology. This activity is centered around a secure assembly and test facility.
* Establishing a modern, reliable and efficient manufacturing capability in the UAE and also meet the industry highest standards
* Providing logistic and operational support to its customers to meet the challenge of providing better products and services, often in innovative ways.