27 May 10. On May 27th Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh visited Eton to mark the 150th Anniversary of the Eton Combined Cadet Force. The whole school assembled in School Yard, with the Honour Guard of the CCF lining the entrance. The Queen was greeted by a 21-gun salute as she arrived, and the Royal Standard was raised on the flagpole above Upper School as the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were received by the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire, The High Sherriff and the Provost. In School Yard, the Queen inspected the Guard of Honour, commanded by Cadet Officer Frederick Cripps. After the inspection, and the traditional three cheers from the boys, Her Majesty unveiled the memorial tablet in the Cloisters which commemorates the forty four Old Etonians who have been awarded the Victoria Cross or the George Cross. The Eton College CCF was founded in 1860 as the Eton College rifle corps as a volunteer battalion of the Oxford and Buckinghamshire light infantry (4 Ox and Bucks LI (V)) at a time when it was thought that Napoleon III was threatening to invade Britain. It was the first continuous school corps of its kind. On 16th June 1930 King George V presented the corps with its new colours when it became the ‘Eton College Officers’ Training Corps’. Later when schools’ OTCs became combined cadet forces, the Duke of Gloucester presented the corps with new colours in June 1961.