Qioptiq logo Raytheon

BUSINESS NEWS

08 Sep 11. Elbit Systems Ltd. (NASDAQ and TASE: ESLT) announced, further to the announcement dated April 13, 2011, that its Brazilian subsidiary AEL Sistemas S.A. signed several related agreements with Embraer Defesa e Segurança S.A., a subsidiary of Embraer S.A. (NYSE: ERJ; BM&FBOVESPA: BR3). Under the agreements, the parties established a joint company, Harpia Sistemas S.A, in which Embraer Defesa owns 51% and AEL owns the remaining 49%. The new company, based in Brasilia, will be engaged in the areas of unmanned aircraft systems, avionics systems and simulators, as well as contractor logistics support in these areas, for the Brazilian market as well as other markets to be determined in the future. Mr. Rodrigo Fantom will be appointed as the CEO of Harpia. In addition, pursuant to the agreements, Embraer Defesa acquired a 25% interest in AEL.

15 Sep 11. Cobham plc has agreed to acquire US-based Trivec-Avant Corporation, a leading global supplier of sophisticated UHF satellite communication (SATCOM) antenna systems. Trivec’s SATCOM technology, product range and customer base are highly complementary to Cobham’s Antenna Systems strategic business unit. The acquisition is in line with Cobham’s strategy to build scale in its target markets and deepen its investment in highly differentiated technology. Cobham will acquire the entire share capital of privately owned Trivec for a cash consideration of US$126mi, payable on completion, on a debt and cash free basis. An additional cash consideration of up to US$18m is payable between 2013 and 2014, contingent on future performance. Subject to regulatory approvals, the acquisition is expected to complete during the fourth quarter of 2011. Trivec has industry leading expertise in the field of Satellite Communication (SATCOM) antennas for communications on the move, including next generation network-centric warfare. It specialises in ultra high frequency (UHF) SATCOM and steerable technologies, which permit low to horizon communication in adverse terrain and in demanding military and emergency response missions. It has a suite of over 400 high quality antenna designs, which are used in ground, airborne and maritime applications. Trivec’s SATCOM technology is complementary to the existing range of antenna products in Cobham’s Antenna Systems strategic business unit and will be managed within this business as part of the Group’s Aerospace and Security Division. The acquisition of Trivec brings new SATCOM market leading technology capabilities to Cobham’s existing SATCOM antenna technology and product range, particularly UHF technology used in land, sea and airborne applications. The acquisition is consistent with Cobham’s strategic objectives of building scale in all its markets and investing in differentiated technology. Trivec has long established customer relationships built on the reputation of its products for high performance and quality. Cobham’s complementary portfolio of products and customer relationships, together with the Group’s international presence and multiple routes to market, are expected to increase sales activity within the US and internationally. There is also potential for Trivec’s technology to be developed for specific commercial and security applications, leveraging Cobham’s diversified customer base and technology capabilities. For the year ended 31 December 2010, Trivec generated operating profits of US$22.4m and EBITDA of US$22.6m. At 31 December 2010 Trivec had gross assets, excluding debt and cash, of US$11.7m. After an allowable expense relating to goodwill amortisation (see note 3) Cobham is paying 4.5x 2010 EBITDA, in part reflecting the fact that 2010 was a year with exceptionally high land sales. It is expected that the acquisition will be immediately earnings enhancing and will cover its cost of capital in the first year of ownership.

09 Sep 11. Australia’s Faxtech (trading as Point Trading) has filed a lawsuit against Israel’s Elbit Systems fo

Back to article list